Nuclear Energy Group
Transforming energy from atom
The Nuclear Energy group at SET center has emerged from the strategic mission of Kingdom’s plan to developed nuclear power. The aim is to carry out research and development in important areas of nuclear science and technology to complement the Kingdom’s Nuclear Energy Program.
Our mission is to promote nuclear engineering education and conduct state-of-the-art research on nuclear reactor safety, safeguard and security, non-proliferation and nuclear desalination.
Current Research Activities
- Master Program in Nuclear Engineering
- Development of high performance thermoelectric energy harvester for nuclear safety applications
- Radiation Shielding Materials development
- Development of safety systems for nuclear power reactors (Small Modular Reactors)
- Laser spectroscopic studies for nuclear fuel, safety, and safeguard applications
- Green hydrogen and ammonia production by using nuclear energy
- Hybrid nuclear solar desalination systems
- Production of pure water using coupled nuclear desalination systems
- Kaleem Ahmad, C. Wan., Peng-an Zong. Thermoelectric properties of BiSbTe/graphene nanocomposites. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 2019 in press.
- Kaleem Ahmad; Wan, C. et al. Enhanced thermoelectric performance of Bi2Te3based graphene nanocomposites. Applied Surface Science 2019, 474, 2-8.
- Kaleem Ahmad; Chunlei, W.; Peng-an, Z. Effect of multiwall carbon nanotubes on the thermoelectric properties of BiSbTe based composites. Rare Metal Materials and Engineering 2018, 47, 466-469.
- Kaleem Ahmad and Chunlei Wan, Enhanced thermoelectric performance of Bi2Te3by uniform dispersion of single wall carbon nanotubes 2017 Nanotechnology 28, 415402 (2017)
- Kaleem Ahmad, Chunlei Wan, et al. Reduction in thermal conductivity of BiSbT Lump, Applied Physics A, 2017;123(3):173.
- Kaleem Ahmad, Chunlei Wan, et al. Effect of Uniform Dispersion of Single Wall Carbon Nanotubes on the Thermoelectric Properties of BiSbTe Based Nanocomposites, Journal of Electronic Materials 2017;46(2):1348-1357.
- Kaleem Ahmad, Chunlei Wan, et al. Processing and Thermal Properties of Multiwall Carbon Nanotube/Bismuth Antimony Telluride Composites for Nuclear Energy Applications, Key Engineering Materials, 2016, 697, 826-830.
- Kaleem Ahmad, Al-Eshaikh, M., et al. Characterization of alumina-based ceramic nanocomposites by laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Applied Physics A, 2015, 119(4), 1223-1229.
- Kaleem Ahmad, and Pan, W. Microstructure-toughening relation in alumina based multiwall carbon nanotube ceramic composites. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 2015 35(2), 663-671.
- Kaleem Ahmad, Pan, W., & Wu, H. High performance alumina based graphene nanocomposites with novel electrical and dielectric properties. RSC Advances, 2015, 5(42), 33607-33614.
- Kaleem Ahmad, and Pan, Wei Enhanced Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Alumina-Based TiC Composites by Spark Plasma Sintering. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2014, 45(13), 6271-6276.
- Kaleem Ahmad, Tawfik, W., Farooq, W., & Singh, J. (2014). Analysis of alumina-based titanium carbide composites by laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Applied Physics A, 2014, 117(3), 1315-1322
- Kaleem Ahmad, Wei, P., & Wan, C. Thermal conductivities of alumina-based multiwall carbon nanotube ceramic composites. Journal of Materials Science, 2014 49(17), 6048-6055
- Kaleem Ahmad, Electrospun semiconducting nanofibers as an attractive material for renewable energy applications. Renewable Energies for Developing Countries (REDEC), 2012 International Conference on, 2012. 1-4.
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, Karachi Nuclear Power Plant (KANUPP): As case study for techno-economic assessment of nuclear power coupled with water desalination, Energy, Vol.127, pp.372-380,2017(IF: 4.5)
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, et al.,“Development and techno-economic analysis of small modular nuclear reactor and desalination system across Middle East and North Africa region”, Desalination, Vol.406, pp.51-59, 2017( IF: 5.52)
- Salah U.D.Khan et al, “Theoretical calculation simulation studies of ABV nuclear reactor coupled with desalination system”,. Int. J. Energy Res, Vol.39,pp.1554–1563,2015(IF: 2.418)
- Salah.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao,M.Peng,Shahab.U.D.Khan,S.Haider, “Simulation and Verification studies of Reactivity Initiated Accident by comparative approach of NK/TH coupling codes and Relap5 code”, ATW-International Journal of Nuclear Power, Vol.62.No.2,2017 ( IF: 0.84)
- Salah.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao, Shahab.U.D.Khan, Thermal hydraulic analysis of CFETR during thermal quenching by comparative approach of Relap5 and Theatre code, Modern Physics Letter B,Vol.30,No.30,pp.1650357,2016 (IF: 0.9)
- Salah Ud-Din Khan,Yuntao Song,Shahab Ud-Din Khan,Daniel Meneses Alcina, Theoretical Calculation and Simulation Studies for sideways force on vacuum vessel during VDEs in EAST Tokamak, Joint IAEA/ICTP/ASIPP workshop on Fusion Engineering devices, July 18-22, 2015
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, “Nuclear Forensics: Calculation and Determining the Radioactive Sample: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as Special case”,ANS TRANSACTION, 2015.
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, “Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s nuclear program: A future Prospect”, 22nd International Conference Nuclear Energy for New Europe, Bled, Slovenia, September 9-12,2013.
- M.Hussain, Salah.U.D.Khan,W.A.Syed,Shahab.U.D.Khan “Estimation of intervention distances for urgent protection action using comparative approach of MACCS and InterRAS code” Science and Technology of Nuclear Installation, Volume 2014, Article ID 874134( IF: 0.56)
- S.N.Daish,Salah Ud-Din Khan et al,, Effect of tip clearance and rotor–stator axial gap on the efficiency of a multistage compressor, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 99, 25 April 2016, Pages 988–995( IF: 2.74)
- M.Hussain, Salah.U.D.Khan,W.A.Syed, “Effect of Seasonal Meteorological Variations on Radioactive Plume Dispersion- A Segmented Gaussian Approach, ANS TRANSACTION, Vol. 110,pp.361-364,2014
- M.Hussain, Salah.U.D.Khan,W.A.Syed, “Modeling and assessment of radioactive plume dispersion for a combination of meeorological parameters”, ANS TRANSACTION, 2014.
- L.Wang, Shahab.U.D.Khan, Salah.U.D.Khan, Boundness in a chemotaxis system with consumption of chemoattractant and logistic source, Electronic Journal of Differential Equations(IF: 0.43)
- M.Hussain, Salah.U.D.Khan,W.A.Syed, “Estimation of Emergency planning zones for Nuclear research Reactor using plum dispersion code”,20th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering(ICONE 20),Anaheium,California,USA.July 30th to 3rd August,2012.
- W. A.Farooq, Salah.U.D.Khan, S.M.Ali, M.ASLAM, Effect of gamma rays on nanostructured TiO2 thin film synthesized with sol gel method, Journal of optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, No. 7-8, July - August 2016, p. 712 – 716 (IF: 0.8)
- Wang Jian, S.Yuntao, M.Lei, L.Sumei,G.Chao,X.Kun, Salah.U.D.Khan, Thermal Safety Analysis of CFETR Helium Cooled Ceremic Breeeder Blanket Module with RELAP5, Atomic Energy Science and Technology,Vol.51,No.10,pp.1778-1784, 2017 (IF: 0.17)
- Shahab.U.D.Khan,Salah.U.D.Khan,F.A.Shah,K.Ashraf,S.Bibi,R.Gull, “Theoretical Calculation and Simulation Studies of Balancing Forces and Axisymmetric Poloidal Halo Current in EAST”, ANS TRANSACTION, 2017
- Shahab.U.D.Khan,Salah.U.D.Khan,S.Yuntao,M.U.Hassan,M.Shoaib,G.Farid,Development and Verification of computer model for control of plasma and halo current in EAST Tokamak, IEEE Transactions, 2017
- Shahab.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao,X.Liu, Salah.U.D.Khan, Development of theoretical model for 3D plasma energy behavior and characteristics. Int. J. Energy Res, Vol.39, pp.1554-1563,2015 (IF: 2.418)
- Shahab.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao, Salah.U.D.Khan, Theoretical investigation of plasma dynamical behavior and halo current analysis, Int. J. Energy Res,Vol.40,pp.497-506,2016 ( IF: 2.418)
- Shahab.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao, Salah.U.D.Khan, J.Zheng, “Plasma Current Stability Code (PCSC) Based on the Coupling Analysis of EMF-Eddy Current-Plasma Control”,ANS TRANSACTION, 2015.
- Shahab.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao, Salah.U.D.Khan, J.Zheng, “Development and verification ofcomputational model for halo current in ITER”, 26th IEEE Symposium on Fusion Engineering (SOFE), May 31-June 4, 2015, Austin, Texas USA
- Salah.U.D.Khanet al.,“Terahertz Time Domain, Raman and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy of Acrylamide and the Application of Density Functional Theory”, Journal of Spectroscopy, Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 148903. ( IF: 0.75)
- S.N.Danish,Salah.U.D.Khan, U.Umer,S.U.R.Qureshi,C.Ma, “Performance Evaluation of a Tandem Bladed Centrifugal Compressor”, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, Vol.8, No.3, pp-382-295(2014) ( IF: 0.99)
- S.N.Danish,…Salah.U.D.Khan, “Numerical investigation & comparison of a tandem-bladed turbocharger centrifugal compressor stage with conventional design”, Journal of Thermal Science, December 2014, Volume 23, Issue 6, pp 523-534 (IF: 0.40)
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, M.Peng,, “Flow blockage accident or loss of flow accident by using comparative approach of NK/TH Coupling codes and RELAP5 code”, Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol.64,pp 311-319, 2014. ( IF: 1.02)
- Salah.U.D.Khan,M.Peng, Shahab.U.D.Khan, “Neutronics and Thermal hydraulic Coupling analysis of Integrated Pressurized Water Reactor”, International Journal of Energy Research,vol.37(13),pp 1709-1717,2013. ( IF: 2.418)
- Salah.U.D.Khan et al., “Modification and Validation of Thermal hydraulic code for plate type nuclear reactor”, Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol 53,pp 519-528,2013. (IF: 1.02)
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, Y.Zhefei, “Modification of neutron kinetic code for plate type fuel nuclear reactor”, Science and Technology of Nuclear Installation. Vol. 2013, Article ID 487604. (IF: 0.56)
- Salah.U.D.Khan,Shahab.U.D.Khan, M.Peng.,“Simulation of Loss of Flow Accident in an integral pressurized water reactor by NK/TH coupling approach”, ANS TRANSACTION, 2013.
- Salah.U.D.Khan,M.Peng, Shahab.U.D.Khan, “Transient Analysis of Integral Pressurized Water Reactor (IPWR)”, 22nd International Conference Nuclear Energy for New Europe, Bled, Slovenia, September 9-12,2013.
- Salah.U.D.Khan, Shahab.U.D.Khan, “Mathematical Modeling for Simulation of Nuclear Reactor Analysis”, International Journal of Social Sciences & Education, vol. 2 Issue 4, pp 554,2012.
- Salah.U.D.Khanet al., “Simulation of Normal/Abnormal operational conditions of Integral Pressurized Water Reactor by using Relap5/Mod3.4”,International journal of Modelling and Simulation,vol.32,no.4,2012
- Al-Eshaikh, M.A., Kadachi, A.N. and Sarfraz, M.M., 2016. Determination of uranium content in phosphate ores using different measurement techniques. Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences, 28(1), pp.41-46.
- Farooq, W.A., Atif, M., Tawfik, W., Alsalhi, M.S., Alahmed, Z.A., Sarfraz, M. and Singh, J.P., 2014. Study of bacterial samples using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy. Plasma Science and Technology, 16(12), p.1141.
- Salah Ud-Din Khan and Alexander Nakhabov, “Nuclear Reactor Technology Development and Utilization”, ISBN: 9780128184837(Elsevier)June, 2020
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, et al., “Nuclear Power plant systems”, Nuclear Reactor Technology Development and Utilization”, ISBN: 9780128184837(Elsevier)June, 2020
- Salah U.D.Khan et al., Methods for radiation shielding applications, US Patent (US 2019/0378628 A1), December 12, 2019
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, Z.Almutairi, M.Alanizi,S.Khan, Safety analysis of pool-type double containment of system-integrated modular advanced reactor:A case study for Saudi Arabia, International Journal of Energy Research, 2020
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, Economic assessment of ABWR, SCWR and SMART by using G4-ECONS code, TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY, Vol. 123, No.1, 2020.
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, Development of novel safety features in Small Modular Reactors with Novel Safety Features, Proceedings of the International conference on nuclear energy for new Europe 2020.
- Salah Ud-Din Khan,Sajjad Haider, Theoretical-Computational model development for radiation shielding applications, Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Science,Vol.13,no.1,pp.605-615, 2020.
- Syed Mansoor Ali, Salah Ud-Din Khan, M. S. AlGarawi, S. S. AlGamdi,Tuning of structural, optical, and impedance properties of CeO2 thin films by incorporation palladium ions, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics , Vol. 31, pp.10031–10037,2020
- Syed Mansoor Ali, M.S.AlGarawi,Salah Ud-Din Khan,S.Aldawood, Nanostructure, optical and electrical response of gamma ray radiated PdS/p-Si heterojunction, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, Volume 122,105474, February 2021
- Irfan Wazeer, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Ibrahim S. Al-Mutaz, Ibrahim M. AlAteeq, Achmad Chafidz, Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Design, operational and economic assessment of SWRO plant in Al-Jubail region, Saudi Arabia, Desalination and water treatment (In press), 2021
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, Using next generation nuclear power reactors for development of techno-economic model for hydrogen production Energy, International Journal of Energy Research, vol.43,No.13,pp.6827-6839,2019
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Sajjad Haider, Development and Verification of numerical study to calculate focal points of temperature in Helium Cooled Ceramic Blanket (HCCB) system in CFETR, Modern Physics letter B, Vol. 33, No. 16, 1950173, 2019.
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Numerical simulation of Observed Plasma Asymmetries in Tokamaks, TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY, Vol.120, no.1.,pp.196-198,2019.
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Numerical simulation of balancing/tilting forces through asymptotic poloidal halo current in EAST, 28th IEEE Symposium on Fusion Engineering, 2 – 6 June, 2019
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, Nuclear Forensics and Development of Non-Destructive Scrutiny Facility (NDSF) for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Nuclear Science, Vol. 3, no. 4, pp.52-58, 2018
- .Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Theoretical and simulation study of eddy current in Metallic Spherical Tokamak (MST), 28th IEEE Symposium on Fusion Engineering, 2 – 6 June, 2019
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Halo current effects and EM loads on Tungsten Divertor in EAST, Modern Physics Letter B, Vol.23, 2019
- Salah Ud-Din Khan,Jian Wang,Yuntao Song,Shahab Ud-Din Khan,Usman Ali Rana,Riaz Khan, Steady State and Transient Analysis of Novel Design Helium Cooled Ceramic Blanket (HCCB) System of China Fusion Engineering Test Reactor (CFETR), Journal of Fusion Energy,Vol.37,no.6,pp.308-316,2018
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan,Salah Ud-Din Khan,Yuntao Song,Chen Dalong, Theoretical relation between halo current-plasma energy displacement/deformation in EAST, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Physics, Vol. 12, no.1,pp 23–31, 2018.
- Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, Riaz Khan, Song Yuntao, Shahid Hussain, Numerical simulation of Observed Plasma Asymmetries in Tokamaks, TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY, 2018
- Salah.U.D.Khan, S.Yuntao, Shahab.U.D.Khan, Thermal hydraulic analysis of China fusion engineering test reactor during thermal quenching by comparative approach of Relap5 and THEATRe codes, Modern Physics Letter B,Vol.30,No.30,pp.1650357,2016.
- Z. Almutairi, Kaleem Ahmad, et al., Correlation between laser spectroscopic studies and mechanical characterization of zirconia-based multiwall carbon nanotube ceramic composites, Applied Physics a-Materials Science & Processing 126 (6) (2020).
- Salah Ud-Din Khan, “Neutronics and Thermal Hydraulic Properties of Small PWR Core”LAP Lambert Academic Publishing (2013-12-14)
- Sadiq Usman, Shahab Ud-Din Khan, Salah Ud-Din Khan, “Internal Transport Barrier in Tokamak Plasma” LAP Labert Academic Publishing (2014-04-15)
Salah U.D.Khan et al, Nuclear Energy Powered Sea Water Desalination, Renewable Energy Powered Desalination Handbook, ElsevierISBN 978-0-12-815244-7. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-815244-7.00006-4(2017)
- Tsinghua University Beijing China
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
- King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy
Lab Members Update:
1. Eng. Redhwan Ali, PhD candidate
- Development of high performance graphene wrapped bismuth telluride based thermoelectric devices for power generation
- Size Dependent Thermoelectric Properties of SnSe
June 20, 2020
Dr.Salah Ud-Din Khan of nuclear energy group at SET center published a book on ‘Nuclear Reactor Technology Development and Utilization” by Elsevier. Here is the link to the book,
Dr. Salah Ud-Din Khan received US patent for his discovery on Developing methods for radiation shielding applications.
Nuclear energy group at SET center.
Tel : +966-11-4676832